Important facts to know about Lakeland School District:
- Lakeland, TN is a middle-class suburb near Memphis.
- Lakeland school district is brand new; it just opened in August 2014. Formerly, Lakeland was a part of the merged Shelby County & Memphis City School mega-district for one year. Before the merger, Lakeland was a part of the high-performing Shelby County school district.
- Lakeland has one school that serves elementary with plans to build a combined middle/high school soon. Their 6-12 grade students currently attend schools in neighboring districts.
- When elected last year, their school board members did not run on anti-Common Core platforms. Their board members received no campaign funding from out-of-state organizations. They have zero affiliation with the Koch Brother's Americans For Prosperity organization. In fact, their board members are not particularly connected with any political party. Their board members are pro-public school (not charters or vouchers).
- Laura Harrison, one of the Lakeland school board members, says this Resolution was not a political move at all. She said that their board members have heard from many parents, teachers, and constituents in their district who are opposed to Common Core for many different reasons. The board members simply voted for what their community wanted.
- Lakeland's 5 school board members all have children currently in public schools. The professions of the school board members include: a lawyer, an engineer, a teacher, a business owner, and a Human Resources professional.
- Representative Ron Lollar and Senator Mark Norris are the elected state legislators for Lakeland. Mark Norris is the current Senate Majority leader and, as such, carries Governor Haslam's bills.
Will Governor Haslam ever get the message?
Or will legislators have to pull more stealth moves to get past the Governor's strategically-placed committee chairs and phony fiscal notes to ultimately eliminate Common Core like they had to do during the last Legislative session to stop the pricey PARCC test?
Our kids are waiting...